Under The Apple Tree
I found my friend dead under The Apple Tree today
His body was so still and cold, yet from what I couldn’t say
He lay beneath the branches. Not a breath left in his chest
So still and unassuming, it’s as though he is at rest
I wonder what he tried to take for death must be the price
Wanting the knowledge of the tree cost Eve her very life
So what did my friend want from the Apple Tree
And was the root of his desire enough to tempt me?
We were so alike, he and I
And though he failed perhaps I could try-
No! Be gone temptation from the darkest corner of my soul
I banish you to where my thoughts have no right to go.
But as I see him lying there I can not help but think
Did he die under The Apple Tree because he was too weak?
I am so very strong and not at all like him
When I seek to achieve I only start what I can win
Perhaps I can be better when I reach for what the fruit
Can grant me in prosperity all I have to do is choose
To not end up dead and cold beneath the leafy branch
If not now then when? this could be my final chance
I am so close to falling when I hear my conscious chide
“The fruit is not the cause of death, the root of sin is pride”
this friend seems in every way like a counterpart of yours-- someone you both relate to and cannot at the same time. i wonder what this poem could look like if you explore a little further in the beginning, though i think the ending is the strongest part. you have a very obvious crescendo and you have a beautiful allusion to fits into place. this is really well done!
ReplyDelete